Sunday, August 5, 2012

Bitch Sugar

My fixation on signs began a few years ago.  I can't stop collecting them.

This first sign was posted in a dorm at a college in Iowa.  
I like the severity of its words in contrast to its pink hue.
I like the exclamation point at the end.  
I like that some event or events must have prompted its adhesion here.


The two below are real signs from a real college campus that I visited.  The signs don't mean much until you realize that they are on buildings on an all-female campus.  The first building is the PMS Student Union.  The second was established over a hundred years ago for the treatment of young women suffering from hysteria, or as we call it today: stress.


This is one of my favorites.  It was in the hallway outside of my financial advisor's office.  Or was it my audition?  
I don't know, the appointments were on the same day.  
Point is:  for safety, shouldn't every place of business post this sign?


There is a sign underneath this little boy's hands.  

He sighed.
He tried.
He almost complied.

My mom and I discovered this collection of signs one day during her visit to me in Astoria, New York in the summer of 2011.  The signs were taped up from the bottom of the subway entrance at ground level, up the steps, and along the elevated track platform.  I don't know who Jamie Lynn is, but whoever did this for her is really, really awesome.  
Happy Birthday Jamie Lynn, and well-done Jamie-Lynn's friend.

 



Below:  At an outdoor garden bar in Brooklyn, NY.


Below:  I found this on rainy day in Virginia on which I didn't quite know what to do with myself.  
How did they know?



 


My husband has an unusual name...  For a man.  
Not for towns, building complexes, pharmaceuticals, streets, avenues, boulevards, and butlers.


 



I collected these Czech language signs on a visit to my sister in Prague.  


 

Some signs were impossible to translate.

 

Some signs are pretty easy to figure out.
(These next Hungarian signs I collected from Budapest.)


 

And some signs need no translation, 
like this one for Club Underground illustrating all who are welcome.


This English sign was posted at a Hungarian Ice Cream shop.

Tell me that doesn't look like Bitch Sugar (which is essentially what I want my nickname to be.)

The Czech and the Hungarians, many of whom speak excellent English, 
are known for complicating a thought in its translation to English.  
There are certain terms that just don't translate simply, particularly prepositions.  See below.  
From a bath house in Budapest, Hungary.

"Dear Guests!
We kindly ask you to take attention on that in the outdoor swimming pool swimming caps 
are needed to be worn.   Thank you for your appreciaton. 
 - Management"
"Dear Guests!  
We kindly ask you to note that on the area of the bath nobody can stay 
without a valid proxy watch.  The control of the wear of the proxy watches is the task
 of the bath personnel and the security charge." 

Taken during my bridal photo session at the railroad tracks in Staunton, VA.


Clockwise from Left:  rural Ohio; NYC; Sarasota, Florida; Bar Harbor, Maine.

  
 


At Canyon Moon Coffee Shop in Canal Winchester, OH.

 

And, of course, wine signs.




Crazy Goat Coffee is in Gahanna, Ohio.
Sweet, peaceful, little spot to enjoy coffee.  
Good coffee, free wifi, and ... excellent signage! 
Creekside Plaza  Gahanna, OH 43230
(614) 285-4628www.crazygoatcoffee.com/









No comments:

Post a Comment